Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge





1. What takes you out of your comfort zone? Teaching Ryder math. I hate math and There is just something really wrong when you mix the alphabet and digits!  I did ok with Algebra in high school but this isn't pleasant.  I'm really glad I have a good math curriculum that helps aide in teaching him. 

2. Your least favorite spice?  I would have to say sage or nutmeg.  I like the smells of those spices but as for flavor a little goes a LONG way!

3. What's a small change you'd like to make?  I would like to do better at using up leftovers.  I don't like having to pitch food to the chickens but my creative juices at using up leftovers is waning.  I need to do better with that.

4. Do you enjoy visiting historic homes? If so, of the homes you've visited which one was your favorite? What historic home near you is open to visitors? Have you been?
Southern Living rounded up eleven of the best in the southern part of the US and they're as follows-

Monticello (Jefferson's home in Virginia), Nathaniel Russel House (Charleston SC), Swan House (Atlanta), Ernest Hemingway's home (Key West), The Biltmore (Vanderbilt home in Asheville NC), Mount Vernon (Washington's home in Virgina), San Francisco Plantation (Garyville, Louisiana), Windsor Ruins (Port Gibson Mississippi), Longue Vue House and Gardens (New Orleans), Whitehall (Palm Beach FL), and Pebble Hill Plantation (Thomasville GA)

Have you been to any on the list? Of the homes listed which would you most like to visit?  I haven't been to any of these homes.  I would like to go to Monticello from this list.  One of my favorite homes to visit is at a historical center.  They have a 1830's Farmstead cabin.  They have some really awesome buildings there.  I am into history so this is a happy place for me. The kids even enjoy going there! 

5. What's something you think will be obsolete in ten years? Does that make you sad or glad?  I figure land line phones will be gone. I'm not sure how I feel about that... Last night we had company and we were talking about when credit cards came about.  I worked as a secretary/receptionist at a local animal hospital and we accepted credit cards.  I had to place the card in a holder and slide an arm over the card to make a carbon copy on the CC forms.  Madi just looked at me like I was crazy!  She also had a hard time comprehending that the stores were closed on Sundays and you couldn't get gas on a Sunday either! I can remember that some stores started to open on Sundays when I was around 10 years old. 

6.  Insert your own random thought here.
Ryder has been learning some new guitar songs so I have been serenaded daily for several weeks.  The latest song he's learning is Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven.  He plays it beautifully.  I'm am truly blessed with some talented children!

2 comments:

  1. Giggling over Madi not knowing about Sunday closures back in the day. We also weren't allowed to have school functions or practices on Wednesday nights because of Wednesday church. Those were the days. Too bad we can't get them back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to hear Ryder play the guitar someday.

    Reading all the different answers today for things that will probably be obsolete in ten years makes me feel just a little sad.

    As much as I dislike talking on the phone, I do hope land lines won't become obsolete.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts!