Thursday, April 30, 2015

Microwave

   When Jeremiah and I moved into our first home in 1997, his grandma gave us a microwave as a housewarming gift.  It was a nice top-of-the-line model.  We were so blessed by her gift as there really wasn't a way that we could afford such a nice one or even able to afford a cheap model. Money was tight! That microwave moved with us to our current home. I relied on it for so much, melting butter, warming soup or leftovers, defrosting meat that I forgot to thaw, reheating coffee or tea, etc. 
   Several years ago we noticed that the microwave just wasn't working as well as it should.  It was an aging appliance and needed replaced but we just couldn't agree on that. Jeremiah wanted to get rid of it and not replace it and I wanted to replace it with a new model but smaller sized than the current one.  Jeremiah wasn't sure that they were as safe as once thought and even though I wasn't too sure about that myself, I liked the convenience it provided.  Replacing it was still an expense that we didn't want to incur.
   One afternoon, Ryder was warming up some food and leaned against the microwave while waiting for his food to finish.  He jumped quickly and looked at his hand. Apparently, the old microwave door was not shutting correctly and it burned his hand.  He had quite a mark on his palm, nothing too serious, but still painful. That was it for me! We took care of his hand and we removed the food and glass tray from the microwave. The microwave had sealed it's destiny for a lifetime membership to an appliance graveyard. 
   We didn't replace it, I decided to challenge myself to live without one until we could go buy a new one.  I was short on counter space anyway so I monopolized that area and used the toaster oven more.  I was constantly using the one small pot I owned.  It was cheaper to buy a new pot than a microwave so I purchased another small one and the challenge continued.  After a few weeks of "no microwave", I found that I didn't miss anything but the timer feature on it.  I liked that food seemed to taste better warmed on the stove or in the toaster oven. I bought a new timer, not a new microwave.  
   Years later, we still haven't bought a microwave.  I honestly do not miss it and haven't wished for a new one.  What I do find interesting, however, is that people think I am "different" for not having or wanting a microwave when it doesn't bother me at all.

~ SunnyKaye ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts!