Friday, January 15, 2016

Recipe Flop!

   I mentioned that Jeremiah bought me a very nice casserole crockpot for Christmas, I think.  I am really liking this appliance.  The one issue I have with it is that the recipes that came with it all use canned soup.  I can't eat canned soup too much as it upsets my stomach.  I have to get creative with trying some recipes on my own. 

   This week I was searching though my recipe binders for some different supper ideas and I stumbled upon a recipe that I printed out in 2013 for Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken.  I hadn't made this recipe yet and I thought that this would be the perfect recipe to try out in the casserole crockpot.  I doubled the recipe since I need to fill both of Ryder's hollow legs. The recipe was easy to follow and didn't require a bunch of odd ingredients.  I mixed up the sauce and placed the chicken breasts in the mix and set the timer on the crockpot to cook.  Oh, it smelled so good!

   In the meantime, my brother, J, called me to ask me some questions about our little nephew that is due to arrive in a couple weeks.  We hadn't talked since Christmas Eve so I was enjoying our conversation and catching up with his holiday activities. I was still laughing and talking when I saw that the time was up on the crockpot and that I needed to complete the recipe.  It stated that I needed to remove the chicken breasts and add 2 Tbsp of cornstarch to the sauce.  Whisk well, cover and return to high for 10 minutes. Shred chicken. 

   Here is where things get messed up a bit...  I buy a lot of my regularly used baking staples in bulk.  I put them in mason jars, cut the label off the front of the package and tape it to the jar.  This works perfectly for me, well until now. 

   I was reading the recipe and knew to double the cornstarch, found my measuring spoon, got into the cabinet and pulled out the cornstarch.  I added it to my sauce and it didn't really look right but I kept on chatting and whisking away.  I figured that it should have started to thicken up a bit by then but oh well, the recipe says to whisk well, cover and return to high for 10 minutes.  No problem.  I did as it said and continued to talk while shredding the chicken breasts.  The 10 minutes passed quickly and when I checked on the sauce it still wasn't thick.  "Well, that's just weird!" I thought to myself.  I decided that I should probably get off the phone and check this out more closely. 

   I reread the recipe.  I did everything correctly, followed all instructions and it still wasn't thick.  Ryder was hungry so I decided to just add the meat and try to figure it out later. Ryder wasn't overly impressed with the taste.  He said it had an odd aftertaste and wasn't sure if he was crazy about this recipe.  Maybe, I shouldn't make it again. I tasted it and thought the same thing.  Ugh, this is just weird but I wasn't wasting 5 chicken breasts!  We were going to eat this regardless of that odd aftertaste. 

   After supper, I was going through the recipe again, trying to figure this mystery out.  I did a play by play in my head with the ingredients.  When I got to the cornstarch part, I reached out my hand to open the cabinet and it hit me!!!  Oh no! I grabbed baking powder instead of cornstarch!!!  Everything made perfect sense now.

   I am going to try this recipe again and hopefully I make it correctly. I don't know where I found this recipe but if it tastes good, I will share the recipe later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts!