Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge




1.  Many families have a story they love to tell every year around a holiday. Does your family have one? Are you the star of that story, or does another family member take center stage? Share your story if you want.
I have a story about my grandpa that is told frequently. We were having Christmas Eve dinner at my grandparents house and we were sitting in the enclosed patio. My grandparents had the sliding glass door, to the kitchen, closed to keep their little poodle from coming out while we were opening our gifts. My grandpa didn't remember that the door was shut and he was coming out of the kitchen to the patio and ran right into the door.  It must have knocked him a bit silly because he straightened his glasses, backed up and walked into it again!  Oh, how we laughed.  He had such a good sense of humor and was laughing before the rest of us!   

There was also an ice storm one year when I was about 10.  It was pretty bad.  My grandparents and uncle always pretended to have Santa come. Well, this particular year the weather was nasty and my grandma forgot to get the gifts from Santa "planted" for us.  She went to the basement and grabbed some frozen candy bars and took them to the front porch and rang the doorbell.  While she was headed back to the basement the ice was so heavy that it broke a branch on a pine tree in the front yard. We heard the branch fall almost immediately after the doorbell rang.  Everyone was scurrying to the front door; especially the adults since they knew that grandma was taking our candy bars out.  They had quite the story to hear once the evening was over because the branch that fell barely missed her!  My brothers and I were amazed that Santa would bring us frozen candy bars.  My uncle told us that it was hard to keep the candy bars room temp with the severe weather he had to fly in!  

 2. Are you afraid to speak your own opinion?

Not usually but I think you need to be kind when voicing your opinion.  Some people aren't very nice when they give theirs.

 3. Pantone has announced the
color of the year for 2016, and for the first time have chosen two shades-rose quartz and serenity. Hmmm...did you know serenity was a color? You can read the thought behind their selection here, but essentially it's blending the warmth of rose quartz with the tranquility of a very soft shade of blue. So what do you think? Are these colors I'd find in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in these shades to either place in the new year?
I like the colors but I dislike shopping so I will venture a guess that they will not make it to my wardrobe or my home. 

 4. If you could be in a Christmas carol, which one would you choose? Why?

Probably the "Peanuts" Christmas song.  I like it simple.


 5. December 9th is National Pastry Day. Will you celebrate? When did you last purchase something from a bakery? What's your favorite treat that falls under the heading of pastry? Do you make it yourself or buy from the professionals?

I am not planning on celebrating this day.  I can't tell you the last time I purchased something from a bakery.  I honestly don't know if I ever did.  Do donuts from Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme count as a bakery?  LOL  I usually bake anything like that.

 6. When it comes to holiday decorating_____________________________.

...don't call me!  I am not a good decorator at all and I don't like it.  Ask my kids. 


 7. When did you last laugh so much it hurt? Explain.

Last week.  I got together to celebrate a friend's birthday with another friend and all our kids.  We laughed the whole time!


 8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Madilynne and I have been making some new recipes lately.  Several of them have been on the bad side. That is the trouble with new recipes.  We have been able to tweak some and make them better.  I always feel bad to make something that is bad and have to pitch it out.  Such a waste of ingredients.  We try to make them into something edible but sometimes, it just isn't gonna happen.  An example recently was some couscous Madilynne made....it went straight to the chickens!   

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your holiday stories! Glad you joined Hodgepodge...I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your answers. Glad you joined today-my blog is Enjoy Life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I will check out your blog soon!

      Delete
  3. Your family stories are great! I've enjoyed reading all the hodgepodge family stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Cheryl! I think the family stories are great also.

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts!