Friday, June 17, 2016

Wind chimes

   Several posts back, I answered some questions for the Liebster Award. Here is one of those questions is here with my answer: 

5. Would you hang windchimes on your porch? Would I? Yes. Do I? No.  At one time I had a small set hanging.  The set that I currently have was given to me when my aunt passed away several years ago. I do not want them to be ruined so they hang in the corner of our playroom by a siding glass door.  When the wind is strong it will ring them.  Each chime has a verse of "Amazing Grace" on it. 
 

 
I wanted to expand on my answer.
 
   Many years ago when we moved to the farm, I had a cheap wind chime set hanging on the front porch.  It didn't take long for it to be ruined from the wind that whips along the front of the house.  This particular set has too much emotional attachment for me to be destroyed. 
 
   My dad's side of the family is small.  My grandfather passed away in 1970's and my grandma passed in 2005 so that left my Aunt C and Uncle K ("Unc", Dad's brother). Several years ago Aunt C went to the beach with her sister and best friend as they did every year.  (She LOVED the beach and was the first person to take me to see the ocean in my teen years.) When they arrived at their hotel room Aunt C said she didn't feel too well and  that she was going to go to bed.  My aunt never woke up. It was a beautiful Friday afternoon in September when Unc called and told me that she had passed away very unexpectedly in her sleep.  It shocked me to the core as she was ONLY 50 years old, thin and appeared to be in good physical shape!  Not someone you would look at and think would die young.
 
 
   This set of chimes was given to me from Aunt C's mother and sister.  They weren't here to help Unc handle the funeral arrangements as they live 1.5 hours away. I walked through the process with him and it helped to have something to do with my time and a way to grieve myself. I think it helped him to know that he had us to lean on also. My aunt and uncle did not have any children; it's only my two brothers and me in this generation.  
 
   I don't write this post to make you sad.  I loved Aunt C dearly and she is in a much happier, better place- heaven.  I tell you this story because when I see my lovely set of wind chimes hanging in the corner of the playroom I think of her and I am reminded of how loving and sweet she was to us. Her love of sports, especially football and tennis and how she hated green beans!  I can remember the sound of her laugh. Many good memories come to mind when I see or hear those chimes. 
 
   I also remember that our time on this Earth is limited and we would do well to spend our time well. We do not know when we will breathe our last breath or spend time with loved ones.  Make the most of each day you have been given. Make memories with those you care most about. 
 
Live (Galatians 5:22) 
Laugh (Ecclesiastes 3:4)
Love (1 Corinthians 13:4)
 
   Each chime has a verse to "Amazing Grace" written on it. 
 
~Amazing Grace~ 
John Newton (1725-1807)
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.
T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.
Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.
The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.
When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

 


5 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful blog and I enjoy reading what you have to say. I have nominated you for the Liebster Award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nomination. I was recently nominated but I will answer your questions and let you know when that post is up!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely keepsake to go with your precious memories! Amazing Grace is one of my favorite hymns. Such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terri for stopping by and commenting! Have a blessed day today!

      Delete
  3. We have a set of wind chimes that chimes Amazing Grace. It was given to us by hubbys co-workers when his grandmother passed away. Unfortunately, they were broken in a thunderstorm last year. :( The good news is that they can be repaired. You are wise to safe guard your precious keepsake!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts!